The Clinical Service of Large Animal Theriogenology offers the breeders a specialist support for horse reproductive management and for animals of zootechnical interest (cattle, pigs, sheep and goats). In addition, the service provides specialist advice in the reproductive field to freelance colleagues.
The activities are carried out at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital (OVUD) and include neonatal assistance and intensive care:
- Diagnosis and ultrasound monitoring of pregnancy
- Management and assistance of the delivery
- Resolution of dystocia
- Assistance to the physiological and pathological postpartum
- Neonatal intensive care
- Caring and assistance services for orphan foals
In addition, the “Alessandro Leopold” Equine Reproduction Center, located at the Rustic Fund of Chiareto di Bellante, has been active since 2001. The following services are offered:
- Equine public breeding station service
- Monitoring and synchronization of mare’s estrus and ovulation
- Male evaluation, diagnosis and management of the male and female infertility
- Collection of seminal material and preparation of inseminating doses of semen
- Certification, refrigeration and cryopreservation of equine semen
- Instrumental insemination (fresh, chilled and frozen semen)
- Embryo-transfer service
- Diagnosis and therapy (medical and surgical) of reproductive male and female pathologies
The Rustic Found of Chiareto di Bellante, an integral part of the Campus of Piano D’Accio “Ruggero Bortolami”, has a complete extension of 12 hectares of land dedicated to the animal housing for different species (Equines, Donkeys, Cattle, Sheep and Goats, Pigs) that are raised for educational purposes. The area is also divided to accommodate equine and asinine mares and stallions, admitted to the Equine Reproduction Center, in which they are constantly and daily monitored by stable staff and internal students of the Clinical Service of Large Animal.
The Unit has active consultancy for sub-fertility plans for bovine, sheep and goat species in support of ARA (Regional Breeders Association).
An integral part of the Clinical Service of Large Animal is the management of the reproductive program of endangered breeds, at risk of extinction such as: Martina Franca Donkey, Teramana Goat, Black Pig of Abruzzo.
About that, the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Teramo strictly cooperate with the Carabinieri Forestali Territorial Office for Biodiversity of Castel di Sangro carrying out the project called “Improvement of the autochthonous equine heritage and safeguard of the genetic heritage: conservation, promotion and enhancement of the Persano and Salernitano breed horse”.
Most of the clinical activities are carried out by the section sited at the Torre di Feudozzo Equestrian Selection Center of the Persian Horse, headquarters of the Carabinieri Biodiversity Department of Castel di Sangro. This project is part of the agreement between the University of Teramo and “Comando Generale dell’Arma dei Carabinieri“ stipulated on 06/03/2018, that aims to establish a series of collaborative activities in various fields, such as forensic and veterinary sciences, biosciences, biotechnologies and food sciences, European planning and international studies.